Solicitor • Director
Karen is a director of the firm and has worked at Saunders Solicitors since 2002, having previously worked for other respected firms in Nottingham and London. Karen is also a Crown Court Advocate gaining her higher rights in 2007.
Karen regularly appears as advocate in the crown court. This distinguishes her from other litigators in enabling her to provide a complete overview of issues that may arise in cases at an early stage. She is known for her honest, straight forward advice and tenacity in defending her clients.
Karen has particular expertise in defending homicide cases, including Murder, Manslaughter and fatal road traffic accidents. She has represented youths and adults on gang related cases, often involving issues of joint enterprise, and has particular expertise in cases involving mental health issues. Karen has worked with some of the leading psychiatrists and medical experts in the country in preparing defences to murder. Her experience also includes cases where the deceased and accused are related to one another. Her homicide experience also stretches to acting as advocate at trial, she has worked with some of the highest ranked QC’s in the country.
Karen is also instructed by professionals requiring legal advice and has defended prosecutions under the companies act and health and safety legislation as well as financial crime.
Examples of recent work:
- High Profile Murder case where the defendant attacked a member of the public whilst suffering from severe mental illness.
- High Profile Murder, parent accused of killing their child with numerous complicating medical issues, which required instruction of leading experts both in the UK and abroad.
- Defending in a multi-handed long running Money Laundering trial involving a number of professional clients. The allegation spanned many years and complicated transactions.
- Instructed by a property developer charged with causing damage to a historic listed London landmark in the course of building works
- Instructed to defend an a professional client accused of being a shadow director of a charity whilst disqualified and associated Proceeds of Crime act proceedings.
- Defending a youth charged with murder in a gang related allegation, dealing with issues of joint enterprise.